Music by The Refusers

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Boaimmás by Sámi Joik Singer Wimme.



Here is a very powerful and beautiful song by a Sami singer by the name of Wimme Saari. I happened to find this video on youtube and was very happy to find out today that he will be featured on the Swedish TV production called Sampi Sessions tonight. I will give an update perhaps tomorrow and tell you a little more about him and about the show.

Well,  I saw the show and Wimme is from the far north of Finland and he created a new song with the Swedish Hip Hop group, Looptroop Rockers.  It was a nice show.  A very nice production.

For now, enjoy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A most interesting video. It reminds me of our American Indians.

Stranger in a Strange Land said...

Hello Ron:

Welcome to my blog. Yes, they are the same people related to the Inuit Indians in Northern Canada and Alaska. They have many of the same or similar traditions.

I knew an Indian Man in Maine who told me that they were the same people and he called them his brothers. This particular man lives in Finland, but basicly they are the same people in Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Russia living in the farest northern regions of all four countries.

Take care,
Mike

christopherdossantos3@gmail.com said...

Namaste my brother, beautiful post thank you for sharing.

In Lak' ech, brother Mike, echoes of love...

Stranger in a Strange Land said...

Hello Chris:

Welcome my friend. Thanks for stopping by and glad you liked the video...Thought that you would.

Warmest & kindest regards,
Mike

Nimmy said...

Lovely, Mike! :-) Nature therapy! Thanks for sharing!

the BCth said...

Beautiful vibe of peace and connectedness, with that Northern melancholy touch. Thank you for the link!

I was familiar with the work of Sámi singer Mari Boine before this. Wimme looks to be another good singer doing the good work. Keeping the spirit of Joik alive in the modern world, in the hearts of people all over the globe. :)

(Looptroop is pretty awesome as well! They played here in Oulu just a while back. I didn't make it to the concert, but a couple of my friends did.)

Peace,
William

Stranger in a Strange Land said...

Hello Wiliam:

You are most welcome and I'm glad you liked this music & video.

By the way, I have been to Oulu 3 times in my life in my many travels around Norden.

Take care,
Mike

Andrea Gerák said...

unfortunately it doesn't seem to play on mobile phone... Have to discover the other ones.