Music by The Refusers

Friday, September 14, 2012

I Have Learned So Much - A Poem by Hafiz


I Have Learned So Much

I
Have
Learned
So much from God
That I can no longer
Call
Myself

A Christian, a Hindu, a Muslim,
a Buddhist, a Jew.

The Truth has shared so much of Itself
With me

That I can no longer call myself
A man, a woman, an angel,
Or even a pure
Soul.

Love has
Befriended Hafiz so completely
It has turned to ash
And freed
Me

Of every concept and image
my mind has ever known.

Hafiz

Hafiz, a Sufi poet, expressed in poetry love for the divine, and the intoxicating oneness of union with it.  Hafiz, along with many Sufi masters, uses wine as the symbol for love. The intoxication that results from both is why it is such a fitting comparison. Hafiz spoke out about the hypocrisy and deceit that exists in society, and was more outspoken in pointing this out than many poets similar to him.


Source:

The Poetry Of Hafiz


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love anything that man wrote but this is particularly beautiful/powerful.

Thanks so much,
Maggie

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful indeed and so very very true.

Thanks you, Mike.

M.B.

Stranger in a Strange Land said...

Hello Maggie & Michael:

I'm glad that you enjoyed the poem.

Kindest & warmest regards to both,
Mike

Angel444 said...

This was the poem in the background during "precious" by depeche mode live in concert