Music by The Refusers

Thursday, May 23, 2019

I Distrust The Extremes - A Quotation from Frank Herbert


Safaris through ancestral memories teach me many things. The patterns. ahhh, the patterns.  Liberal bigots are the ones who trouble me the most.  I distrust the extremes.  Scratch a conservative and you find someone who prefers the past over the future.   Scratch a liberal and find a closet aristocrat.  It's true!  Liberal governments always develop into aristocracies.  The bureaucrats betray the true intent of people who form such governments.  Right from the first,  the little people who form such governments which promised them to equalize the social burdens found themselves suddenly in the hands of bureaucratic aristocracies.   Of course, all bureaucracies follow this pattern, but what a hypocrisy to find this even under a communized banner.    Ahhh,   well,  if patterns teach me anything it's that patterns are repeated.   My oppressions, by and large, are no worse than any of the others and, at least, I teach a new lesson.

THE STOLEN JOURNALS

This quotation is from p. 168 of the book,  God Emperor Of Dune by Frank Herbert.

1 comment:

opit said...

One bit of trivia about Dune is that it was the basis for Star Wars. Watching the movies reminded me of the difference between reading Abyss and watching Cameron's show. The difference in enriching minutae is astounding; so much that the visual drama is relatively incomprehensible.