5 Poison ‘Medicines’ Women Should Avoid and Replace with Natural Remedies
by Christina Sarich
Natural Society, 1 July 2013
While science is always developing, the western world is slow to alter its ways in the face of evidence pointing to the dangers or inefficiency of new medicine and realizations that old treatments could replace current medicines. As ludicrous as this sounds, it is no different than some of the decisions we make with our health. Everyone could make some beneficial changes, and a woman’s well-being is often neglected due to these hard-sticking myths about our health. Here are 5 ‘medicines’ that can easily be replaced with more natural alternatives:
1. Uva Ursi Instead of AntibiotoicsAntibiotics are already over-prescribed for many ailments, and they are causing bacteria to become stronger and more resistant to the prescription drugs that are often prescribed. Urinary tract infections are often stubborn and are primarily treated in allopathic medicine with more than one type of antibiotic. This type of infection can happen often in women, and is sometimes referred to as ‘the honeymooner’s disease.’
Uva Ursi, also known as bearberry, has been used for centuries as a natural diuretic and homeopathic treatment for ailments like urinary tract infections, bladder inflammation, and other inflammatory diseases primarily due to two chemical constituents: arbutin and hydroquinone. The herb is also full of antioxidants and has an astringent affect, so it naturally fights unwanted bacteria. Conversely, antibiotics disrupt the natural flora of the gut and wipe out all the good bacteria in the bladder and urethra so that persistent urinary tract infections are more likely to occur.
2. Chrysin in Passion Flower Extracts Instead of Breast Cancer DrugsMany of the estrogen-stopping drugs found in aromatase-inhibitors made by the pharmaceutical companies can wreck havoc on a woman’s body. They are often used to treat breast cancer, but with prolonged use they cause liver inflammation and even cancer. Chrysin, a naturally occurring flavanoid in passion flower, has shown to effectively reduce inflammation which leads to this type of cancer through the Cox 2 pathway.
3. Stop Giving Your Baby BPA-Filled Teething Rings and use Baltic Amber InsteadWhile many baby teething rings are filled with BPA (biosphenal A), an industrial chemical which can adversely affect your baby’s brain and development, Baltic amber teething necklaces and rings made with real amber and not counterfeit are full of succinic acid. Baltic amber specifically has an 8% concentration of this beneficial natural compound. Amber found in the Baltic region has been used throughout Europe for centuries as a natural antibiotic and cure for numerous ailments.
4. Natural Remedies for Menstrual Cramps Instead of Medications that Harm the Endocrine SystemThere are two types of menstrual cramps: primary and secondary dysmenorrheal. They are both equally debilitating for millions of women. Instead of popping Midol like candy, try increasing your omega 3 fatty acids, eat more magnesium and try acupressure. These will all save endocrine system from producing more stress hormones, which can happen due to the high levels of caffeine in products like Midol. Overuse of Ibuprofin or aspirin can also adversely affect your gastrointestinal system. Check out our home remedies for menstrual cramps page for more natural alternatives.
5. Breathe, Meditate or Do Yoga Instead of Taking Anti-Depressants
A study recently published in the Journal of the American Medical Association said that many medications like Paxil and Prozac were no more effective than a placebo pill, but they have a whole lot of unsavory side effects. If you are feeling blue, try taking a deep diaphragmatic breath, as suggested by a recent NPR program, meditate (it has been proven to be more effective at reducing pain than morphine) or do some yoga, which naturally relieves deep emotional and psychological tensions from the body.Source: