Music by The Refusers

Tuesday, January 18, 2022

An Unexpected Meeting - A Recollection And Sharing Of A Life Changing Occurence from M.N. Hopkins

I have thought of writng and sharing this occurance that I was a part of in the early 90s while fulfilling a work assignment which I was very unwilling to do yet did propelled by my sense of duty and work ethic. I have thought of recording this event in writing but each time this thought slipped my mind and my story went untold. So, now is the time to do so.

At the time,  I was working a full time job plus had a side business in which I did property inspections for insurance agents. Involved in my work was inspections of business and private properties, photography and the writng of reports for company underwriters.

This property being inspected was a private residence of an 85 year old black woman who I will call, Mrs. B,  who lived alone with a guard dog and barred windows, security cameras and an alarm system.  I knew that a few houses away was a hangout of a very dangerous criminal gang.  In fact, a few weeks before the ghetto guys at work got quite upset when I told them I was thinking of buying a glock 9 mm pistol from a friend for 600 USDs.  They told me to forget that, that was way too much money to pay for a firearm. There was a guy who I will call, Johnny who was parked on a street and they gave me an exact location where I could buy the same weapon for 50 USDs.  He was also parking in the neighborhood that I was to visit near Mrs. B's home while running his business out of the trunk of his car.

Back to the tale. I really did not wish to take on this assignment.  Having been in these ghetto areas before in my work since I was working a Tri State area,  I studied maps to find the best way to drive there and called up Mrs. B to ask her if I could visit her early to inspect her property. I thought 6.30 am would be a good time since the gang bangers end their evening of crime and/or partying around 5.30 to 6 am and are usually tucked away in bed at this time.  She told me she is an early riser and it would be OK for me to come early. So, I set the appointment and visited her a few days later.

I can still remember in my minds eye that day in time of pulling into her driveway and while getting my papers in order and reaching for my camera and measuring tools, looking toward her front door and seeing it open and an old black lady with an intense brighest about her, eyes like stars and with one of the most welcoming, loving smiles that I have ever seen in my life, while waving to me in my car.  I remember standing next to her, asking her questions mixed in with some small talk, I felt a movement of energy move through me literally like a wave and it was as if all the fear and heaviness in my energy field disappeared and I felt strong at that moment and as if my whole life had changed in the blicking of an eye and that my entire life would take a new direction very soon.  She was a very faithfilled person who spent everyday at the local church in prayer and reading from her Bible religiously.  I thought after that I had met a real Saint in the flesh.  This was like an Jesus moment or stories of encounters with the Saints of old and their miracle healings.

In fact, my life did change much in the next four years after that encounter.  I had followed my inuition more, ended up traveling more, meeting many interesting people, changing work, my residence, healing, lecturing and starting to write inspirational material and poems that I now publish on my blog in the form of poem and quote memes.

I suppose that what I took from this experience is that sometimes by facing ones fears and doing what we most resist or are unwilling to do we will sometimes find unexpected rewards or emotional and/or spiritual treasures that would have passed us by.  I also found a saintly person of great spiritual power and Light in a place I would have never expected.  Upon, reflection this makes perfect sense.  Where there is the greatest darkness, despair, fearful emotion and an abundance of violent and criminal behaviours,  there would be a great Light sent for balance and healing. Mrs. B was one in that area who got a great gift of Light due to her devotion to the Divine and/or Faith.

Moments like these are very rare and to be treasured and shared in my opinion with those with eyes to see and ears to hear and a knowing of where the real wealth in this world can be found.  This recalling and telling of my story is for you who wish to partake of the gift that I am now sharing with those who willingly accept my offer.  

©  2022  M.N. Hopkins

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful story

Stranger in a Strange Land said...

Thanks much for the kind words Unknown.

Kind regards,
Mike